The CIW Database Design Specialist Course teaches students how to plan and design relational databases. You will learn about the theory behind relational databases, relational database nomenclature, and relational algebra. The course includes sections on Structured Query Language (SQL) and optimising databases through normalisation. You will apply your knowledge with hands-on labs designed to teach the intricacies of database design methodology.
The CIW Database Design Specialist course provides introductory vendor-neutral training for individuals planning to pursue product-focused database specialisation. This course introduces you to DB2, Oracle Database 11g, MS SQL and mySQL. You will also learn about Structured Query Language (SQL) and database optimisation through normalisation.
- Relational database fundamentals.
- Database planning.
- Database design methodology, including logical and physical database design.
- Optimisation and normalisation.
- Structured Query Language (SQL).
- Relational algebra.
- Transactions and database security.
The CIW Database Design Specialist Course includes the following items:
- One year License to the official CIW 1D0-541 Database Design Specialist online course materials. This includes: Pre-Assessment, Exercises, Quizes and Flashcards, Videos, and Practice Exams.
- A hard-copy of the official CIW course book covering the full CIW Database Design Specialist 1D0-541 syllabus. (Delivered within 5-10 working days).
- CIW Live Labs
- An optional PSI Online Exam Voucher to cover the cost of your CIW Exam (£120.00).
Distance Learning Centre is proud to be an authorised training partner for CIW course materials and we offer the official Certified Internet Webmaster (CIW) self study courses.
This course is one of three titles that makes up the CIW Web Development Professional Series of qualifications. Each course represents an individual CIW exam:
- CIW Perl Specialist
- CIW Database Design Specialist
- Unit 1: Introduction to Databases
- Unit 2: Relational Database
- Unit 3: Database Planning
- Unit 4: Overview of Database Design Methodology
- Unit 5: Normalization
- Unit 6: Logical Database Design
- Unit 7: Physical Database Design
- Unit 8: Structured Query Language
- Unit 9: Relational Algebra
- Unit 10: Transactions and Database Security
Database Languages; and Data Dictionaries.
- Exercises, Quizzes and Flashcards
Each lesson comes with Exercises, Flashcards & Quizzes. There is no limit to the number of times learners can attempt these. Exercises come with detailed remediation, which ensures that learners are confident on the topic before proceeding. Flashcards help master the key concepts while the Glossary defines the key terms. There are over 800 unique questions including pre-assessment, quizzes, exercises, and post assessment.
- Videos and How To:
The course includes videos to help understand concepts. It also includes How Tos that help learners in accomplishing certain tasks.
- Practice Tests
The CIW Practice tests are full length tests that closely follow the exam objectives and are designed to simulate real exam conditions. Each course has a number of test sets consisting of hundreds of items to ensure that learners are prepared for the certification exam.
Practic Test Features:
- Full Remediation: Each question comes with detailed remediation explaining not only why an answer option is correct, but also why it is incorrect.
- Unlimited Practice: Each test can be taken an unlimited number of times until the learner feels they are prepared. Learners can review the test and read detailed remediation. Detailed test history is also available.
- Learn, Test and Review Mode: Each test set comes with learn, test and review modes. In learn mode, learners will attempt a question and will get immediate feedback and complete remediation as they move on to the next question. In test mode, learners can take a timed test simulating the actual exam conditions. In review mode, learners can read through one item at a time without attempting it.
Please Note – Digital Course Materials: As the Official CIW Course Materials are a digital license, we cannot offer refunds once the access code has been issued to students. We advise students access a Free Trial of the course content from our Online Portal prior to purchase to make sure you are happy with the format and course content. Extensions for the online content can be purchased if you need to extend your studies. We will email students prior to their access expiring to see if they require a 3 or 6 month extension.
Live Labs gives access to a real computer equipment, networked together and conveniently accessible over the internet. The Live Labs have equipment such as a computer, server, switch or router in it so that a user is free to configure.
The benefits of live-labs are:
- Exam based practical tasks
- Real equipment, absolutely no simulations
- Access to the latest industry technologies
- Available anytime, anywhere on any device
- Break and Reset functionality
- No hardware costs
PSI Testing is a remote video proctoring service and allows you to take CIW exams from the comfort of your own home or office. The system requires an active webcam and stable high speed Internet connection. A live proctor will visually monitor the student and the exam during the entire testing session, so there is no need to attned an exam centre.
The course does not have any pre-requisites although we do recommend completing the CIW Foundations Associate Course prior to studying this course. It is recommended that students have a good knowledge of general IT and a basic knowledge of the purpose and function of a database. Also, students should be familiar with an operating system such as Microsoft Windows before taking this course. The CIW Database Design Specialist does not provide entry-level computer literacy.
You can register at any time and have 12 months to complete the course. The course is designed as a self-study course, but if you have any problems you can email our support email service. As the course is self-study you can complete in as little or as long a time as you prefer.
Extensions are available for students who don’t complete the course within the 12-month license at £90.00 for 3 months or £200.00 for 12 months.
On Completion of this curriculum, you can apply for the internationally recognised CIW Database Design Specialist 1D0-541 Examination. The CIW Database Design Specialist exam consists of 50 multiple choice/multiple answer questions over 90 minutes and the passing score is 75%.
CIW exams are completed via the PSI Remote testing system or through Pearson Vue testing centres.