The CIW User Interface Designer Course will teach students about the strategies and tactics necessary to design user interfaces, with particular attention given to the creation of user interfaces for mobile devices. This course focuses on knowledge of specific development techniques and strategies and students who complete this course will have a deep knowledge of creating user interfaces that are engaging, easy to use, simple to navigate, as well as being visually impressive.
In the course students will learn how to apply essential usability concepts, including clarity, ease of use, simplicity, and detectability and learn how information obtained from the client, sales, and marketing is utilised to design and develop compelling visual experience Web sites for multiple platforms, including mobile, tablet, and desktop.
In addition, you will learn more about wireframes, colour schemes, tones, design templates, formatting, and typography. This course builds upon your abilities to implement user analysis techniques, usability testing procedures and the vital role of testing to publish and maintain a Web site. Finally, you will study branding considerations and responsive design implementation in relation to the user interface design of Web sites.
The course teaches the following skills:
- Obtain information from the client, including obtaining detailed information from relevant parties (e.g., sales and marketing)
- Create a wireframe
- Deploy appropriate colour schemes and tones
- Describe and use current typical design templates
- Summarise proper use of formatting and typography
- Recognize user analysis techniques; Apply essential usability concepts, including clarity, ease of use, simplicity, detectability and typography
- Describe usability testing procedures, including the importance of testing; Design for multiple platforms (e.g., mobile phone, tablet, traditional desktop)
- Identify elements that make a compelling visual experience
- Discuss branding considerations in relation to user interface design
- Implement responsive design (e.g., progressive enhancement, feature detection)
- Design pages for a cloud-based store front
The CIW User Interface Designer Course includes the following items:
- One year License to the official CIW 1D0-621 User Interface Designer online course materials. This includes: Pre-Assessment, Exercises, Quizes and Flashcards, Videos, and Practice Exams.
- A hard-copy of the official CIW course book covering the full CIW User Interface Designer 1D0-621 syllabus. (Delivered within 5-10 working days).
- An optional PSI Online Exam Voucher to cover the cost of your CIW Exam (£120.00).
Distance Learning Centre is proud to be an authorised training partner for CIW course materials and we offer the official Certified Internet Webmaster (CIW) self study courses.
This course is one of seven titles that will make up the CIW Web and Mobile Design Professional Series of qualifications. Each course represents an individual CIW exam:
- CIW Advanced HTML5 and CSS3 Specialist (Available)
- CIW User Interface Design Specialist (Available)
- CIW Data Analyst (Avaialble)
- CIW Social Media Strategy Specialist (Available)
- CIW Mobile Applications (Date to be Confirmed)
- CIW E-Commerce Specialist (Date to be Confirmed)
- CIW Multimedia Specialist (Date to be Confirmed)
- Unit 1: Introduction to User Interface Design
- Unit 2: User Interface Design Process
- Unit 3: User-Centered Web Design
- Unit 4: User Interface Design Principles and Legal Guidelines
- Unit 5: Color, Typography, Layout and Wireframing
- Unit 6: Designing a Basic Web Site
- Unit 7: Navigation Concepts
- Unit 8: Designing and Developing a Professional Web Site
- Unit 9: Site Publishing, Maintenance, Security, and SEO Strategies
What Is User Interface Design?; Evolution of Web User Interfaces; Current Trends in Web Design; Web Design Team Roles and Responsibilities; Web Design Project Management; Collaborative Web Design; Creating a Web Design Portfolio; and Creating a Plan for a Web-Based Business Project.
- Exercises, Quizzes and Flashcards
Each lesson comes with Exercises, Flashcards & Quizzes. There is no limit to the number of times learners can attempt these. Exercises come with detailed remediation, which ensures that learners are confident on the topic before proceeding. Flashcards help master the key concepts while the Glossary defines the key terms. There are over 800 unique questions including pre-assessment, quizzes, exercises, and post assessment.
- Videos and How To:
The course includes videos to help understand concepts. It also includes How Tos that help learners in accomplishing certain tasks.
- Practice Tests
The CIW Practice tests are full length tests that closely follow the exam objectives and are designed to simulate real exam conditions. Each course has a number of test sets consisting of hundreds of items to ensure that learners are prepared for the certification exam.
Practic Test Features:
- Full Remediation: Each question comes with detailed remediation explaining not only why an answer option is correct, but also why it is incorrect.
- Unlimited Practice: Each test can be taken an unlimited number of times until the learner feels they are prepared. Learners can review the test and read detailed remediation. Detailed test history is also available.
- Learn, Test and Review Mode: Each test set comes with learn, test and review modes. In learn mode, learners will attempt a question and will get immediate feedback and complete remediation as they move on to the next question. In test mode, learners can take a timed test simulating the actual exam conditions. In review mode, learners can read through one item at a time without attempting it.
Please Note – Digital Course Materials: As the Official CIW Course Materials are a digital license, we cannot offer refunds once the access code has been issued to students. We advise students access a Free Trial of the course content from our Online Portal prior to purchase to make sure you are happy with the format and course content. Extensions for the online content can be purchased if you need to extend your studies. We will email students prior to their access expiring to see if they require a 3 or 6 month extension.
PSI Testing is a remote video proctoring service and allows you to take CIW exams from the comfort of your own home or office. The system requires an active webcam and stable high speed Internet connection. A live proctor will visually monitor the student and the exam during the entire testing session, so there is no need to attned an exam centre.
The CIW User Interface Designer Course requires an understanding HTML5 and CSS3 coding. Suggested prerequisites are the CIW Site Development Associate course and the CIW Advanced HTML5 & CSS3 Specialist course, or equivalent knowledge.
You can register at any time and have 12 months to complete the course. The course is designed as a self-study course, but if you have any problems you can email our support email service. As the course is self-study you can complete in as little or as long a time as you prefer.
Extensions are available for students who don’t complete the course within the 12-month license at £90.00 for 3 months or £200.00 for 12 months.
On Completion of this curriculum, students can apply for the internationally recognised CIW User Interface Designer 1D0-621 Examination. The exam consists of 54 questions over 75 minutes and the passing score is 74.07%.
CIW exams are completed via the PSI Remote testing system or through Pearson Vue testing centres.