The CIW Web Design Specialist Course is suitable for students who want to gain the necessary skills to specialise in Web design and already have an existing knowledge of basic HTML Programming. This syllabus builds upon the web authoring skills taught in the CIW Web Foundations Associate and covers the essentials and best practices of web design, including design theory, web tools and technologies.
The CIW Web Design Specialist course prepares candidates to take the CIW ID0-520 exam. Students who pass the CIW Web Design Specialist and the CIW E-Commerce Specialist certification will also earn the advanced CIW Web Design Professional certification.
The Web Design Specialist course teaches you how to design and publish Web sites. General topics include Web Site Development Essentials (such as the site development process, customer expectations, and ethical and legal issues in Web development), Web Design Elements (such as aesthetics, the site user’s experience, navigation, usability and accessibility), Basic Web Technologies (such as basic Hypertext Markup Language [HTML], Extensible HTML [XHTML] and extended technologies, image files, GUI site development applications, site publishing and maintenance) and Advanced Web Technologies (such as multimedia and plug-in technologies, client-side and server-side technologies, and Web databases).
The CIW Web Design Specialist Course includes the following items:
- One year License to the official CIW 1D0-520 Web Design Specialist online course materials. This includes: Pre-Assessment, Exercises, Quizes and Flashcards, Videos, and Practice Exams.
- A hard-copy of the official CIW course book covering the full CIW Web Design Specialist 1D0-520 syllabus. (Delivered within 5-10 working days).
- CIW Live Labs
- An optional PSI Online Exam Voucher to cover the cost of your CIW Exam (£120.00).
Please Note: This is an older syllabus and although the exam is still available, it is likely to be retired soon. CIW recommend that students complete courses from their newer Web and Mobile Design Professional Series of courses starting with the CIW Advanced HTML5 & CSS3 Specialist Course as an alternative to this course.
- Exercises, Quizzes and Flashcards
Each lesson comes with Exercises, Flashcards & Quizzes. There is no limit to the number of times learners can attempt these. Exercises come with detailed remediation, which ensures that learners are confident on the topic before proceeding. Flashcards help master the key concepts while the Glossary defines the key terms. There are over 800 unique questions including pre-assessment, quizzes, exercises, and post assessment.
- Videos and How To:
The course includes videos to help understand concepts. It also includes How Tos that help learners in accomplishing certain tasks.
- Practice Tests
The CIW Practice tests are full length tests that closely follow the exam objectives and are designed to simulate real exam conditions. Each course has a number of test sets consisting of hundreds of items to ensure that learners are prepared for the certification exam.
Practic Test Features:
- Full Remediation: Each question comes with detailed remediation explaining not only why an answer option is correct, but also why it is incorrect.
- Unlimited Practice: Each test can be taken an unlimited number of times until the learner feels they are prepared. Learners can review the test and read detailed remediation. Detailed test history is also available.
- Learn, Test and Review Mode: Each test set comes with learn, test and review modes. In learn mode, learners will attempt a question and will get immediate feedback and complete remediation as they move on to the next question. In test mode, learners can take a timed test simulating the actual exam conditions. In review mode, learners can read through one item at a time without attempting it.
Please Note – Digital Course Materials: As the Official CIW Course Materials are a digital license, we cannot offer refunds once the access code has been issued to students. We advise students access a Free Trial of the course content from our Online Portal prior to purchase to make sure you are happy with the format and course content. Extensions for the online content can be purchased if you need to extend your studies. We will email students prior to their access expiring to see if they require a 3 or 6 month extension.
Live Labs gives access to a real computer equipment, networked together and conveniently accessible over the internet. The Live Labs have equipment such as a computer, server, switch or router in it so that a user is free to configure.
The benefits of live-labs are:
- Exam based practical tasks
- Real equipment, absolutely no simulations
- Access to the latest industry technologies
- Available anytime, anywhere on any device
- Break and Reset functionality
- No hardware costs
PSI Testing is a remote video proctoring service and allows you to take CIW exams from the comfort of your own home or office. The system requires an active webcam and stable high speed Internet connection. A live proctor will visually monitor the student and the exam during the entire testing session, so there is no need to attned an exam centre.
Students should have knowledge of HTML Programming. The course does not have any prerequisites although we do recommend completing the CIW Foundations Associate Course or an equivalent beginners HTML and CSS course to learn the basics of Web site authoring and development.
You can register at any time and have 12 months to complete the course. The course is designed as a self-study course, but if you have any problems you can email our support email service. As the course is self-study you can complete in as little or as long a time as you prefer.
Extensions are available for students who don’t complete the course within the 12-month license at £90.00 for 3 months or £200.00 for 12 months.
On Completion of this curriculum, you can apply for the internationally recognised CIW Web Design Specialist 1D0-520 Examination. The exams consists of 70 multiple choice/multiple answer questions over 75 minutes and the passing score is 70%.
CIW exams are completed via the PSI Remote testing system or through Pearson Vue testing centres.